SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#173957 - 08/31/03 08:46 AM "New York State of Mind": Meaning of Lyric Line
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
The following lyric line from Billy Joel's: "New York State of Mind" has always had me puzzled, so I'm hoping someone here can explain to this west coast yokel the actual meaning of it.

"I'm taking a Greyhound on the Hudson River Line"

I assume this refers to a Greyhound bus, right? Does the 'Hudson River Line' refer to a boat? If so, is this a ferry boat line which a Greyhound bus can board?

Thanks, - Scott

#173958 - 08/31/03 10:23 AM Re: "New York State of Mind": Meaning of Lyric Line
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Scott,
I love this song (I even recorded it once with my old VA7).
So, even if I am not a New Yorker, here is my opinion: I think that the Hudson river line refers to a Greyhound line which follows the Hudson river, to the upper part of the New York state (you know, towards Albany and the mountains: very scenic route, by the way...)
Just a poor european's opinion...

#173959 - 08/31/03 10:54 AM Re: "New York State of Mind": Meaning of Lyric Line
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree with Andrea, and can't see any other logical explanation (there isn't always one!).

As a matter of fact, Billy Joel's lyrics are among my favorites, particularly the ones in his "Piano Man" record (10 songs).

-- José.

#173960 - 08/31/03 11:04 AM Re: "New York State of Mind": Meaning of Lyric Line
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
The Hudson River Line is actually more of a tour boat..not a ferry. http://www.pojonews.com/enjoy/stories/paddleyacht.htm
The Greyhound has a bus schedule that runs up and down the Hudson shore line...so all the above responses are correct.
Eddie

#173961 - 08/31/03 12:44 PM Re: "New York State of Mind": Meaning of Lyric Line
KN_Fan Offline

I had to clear my mind up so I just sang this song last night

#173962 - 08/31/03 04:39 PM Re: "New York State of Mind": Meaning of Lyric Line
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I'm sure he was making a referance to how "NOT" fancy he was. Stating that buses, and not limos were just fine with him. More of a hit at the Parkway Diner kind of guy.
Good to be a simple man (with millions$$$$)
....and William Shattner really chooses to save money on Price Line? ...right... He's a bargain shopper/movie star.
sigh.

#173963 - 08/31/03 11:36 PM Re: "New York State of Mind": Meaning of Lyric Line
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
As I've stated before, vocally speaking, I believe that a full understanding (at least from your POV) of the lyric line is requred before you can even hope to successfully sell the song lyric (and make it believably convincing) to the audience.

Thanks to all for clearing up the Greyhound & Hudson River line mystery, and also (to Uncle Dave) for pointing out how these lyrics were used to highlight the contrast between the desire for a simpler Grehyhound bus ride along the Hudson River, vs a costlier and far away plane ride getaway to Miami Beach or Hollywood. I now sing this song with a more enlightened perspective, and convinced this new realization alone has brought my vocal delivery of it to a new level. - Scott

#173964 - 09/01/03 01:38 AM Re: "New York State of Mind": Meaning of Lyric Line
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
It's really a good song to sink your teeth into. I liken it to Desperado...I even do them in the same key. "G" on a good night .... "F" if I'm doing doubles.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online